Please Scroll Down to see Community
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ramping up sets vs. regular sets for best results

Weacro

Wanted to get a good discussion going on this question
some people say that if you're trying to focus on hypertrophy, total volume is going to be more important than getting close to failure every few sets. they say that volume is what drives hypertrophy in the first place
The reason I'm asking is I am getting extremely lethargic and burning myself out going to failure on every set over the past year

going to failure every set is a great way to end up injured

in weight training you want to build consistency somewhere in the 40-60% range first, then work your way up. our bodies are constantly changing on a day to day basiss. bsaically you won't improve in a linear fashion so just saying yesterday i benched 200, so today i will bench 205 and tomorrow i will bench 210 and so on does not work. if it did then guys like us on here would be benching 1500 pounds by now

Some poeple talk to much. You can still progress training in the 70%-75% range of your training max. It still yeilds steady progress while remaing injury free. For example, if my 1rm is 100 pounds then my training max is 90 pounds and I train 70% to 75% of 90 pounds.

Occasionally I will hit doubles and triples of training maxes every few months to end a work set. I also work in drop sets as closers regularly, weekly, which tend to be my first work set, (again 70% ish) as my last set, not to failure but say 5 to 8 reps. This adds the stress needed for hypertrophy bc I'm already training a fatigued muscle but lessening the likelihood of an injury because it is still relatively light.

I have also learned when I trained like you explained it became very discouraging. I have to keep it simple and realistic. I run powerlifting style training blocks and am 44 years old. I must train smarter bc I do not heal like I used to and avoid injuries at all costs. Training 70% has been a huge game changer for the better.

some people say that if you're trying to focus on hypertrophy, total volume is going to be more important than getting close to failure every few sets. they say that volume is what drives hypertrophy in the first place
The reason I'm asking is I am getting extremely lethargic and burning myself out going to failure on every set over the past year
I like to go to failure almost every session but not every set, that can cause injury

failure is for the pros

YO
u dont have to train to failure bro on every set...you work on getting good pumps squeezes and contractions!!!! Control and Grow the muscle