Thread: Bob is back!

Status

Default Bob is back!

LADIES AND GENTS! ATTENTION ATTENTION!

Lol, hope all is well with everyone. Just getting back after a few months of "finding" myself. Had back surgery Dec. 19 with an anterior and posterior fusion of L4/L5/S1 and artificial disc replacement. Was just released about 98% free this past week. Released me to squats and whatnot again. I've been back lifting for 6wks so far. Could NOT lift anything over 10lbs for the first 6wks following surgery. My first day back in the gym after, I promised the fiance I would NOT go heavy and stay at 135 on bench. Well, needless to say I stayed light...just not that light. Opening day back and doubled 385 for 2 sets of 2. About 3 weeks ago I tripled 405 again.

Just started doing standing military presses again. 215x5 but with no leg english.

So stats pre-op were
    Flat bench 450x1 or 435x2
    Squat 500x2
    Stiff deads 450x3
    DB curl 80x6each arm (little body english) 70x6each arm (very clean)
    weight of 285

Post-op are
    Flat 405x3
    Squat - attempting to squat soon. Still scared lol.
    Deads - will NOT be deadlifting again until I regain a lot of flexibility. Till then, will be doing dumbells
    DB curl - 65x8each arm very strict
    weight of 266

Current weight is now 290-295. Muscle memory is AMAZING!!

Will hopefully take some pictures this week and post them for a view of post op bulk. Thinking about competing this summer, again.
    It never ends. It only begins.
    Gonna push my limits till the limits push me back. Then I shall push harder.
    I don't care if I die, long as I'm buried in a big fucking box!

Status

BEST OF LUCK TO YA!!

I had surgery on 2 of the three discs I blew out in may. Doc wanted me to get a fusion but I refused and decided to try the micro discectomy first. Felt like a good decision for a while but now I'm not so sure. My muscle recovery on most things was quick.... Got most of my strength back while staying on nothing but trt at 100 mgs a week. Waited a long IME to squat and dead again. Both felt ok and after only a cpl medium dead days I decided to see where my strength was so I pulled 6 and just missed 655 (if I wasn't fearful I woulda finished the pull)... No complications from either lift THEN I try reg park presses and think that's when I tweeked the back again. I had balance problems cause I had never done them...kinda dropped and caught the db and since that day a week and a half ago....ouch! I've talked to many others that have had surgery and every single one has said the same thing...if they re-injure their back its either not in the gym OR when form slips for some reason. So if the doc cleared you... I wouldn't be to scared to squat...just take your time (I have major problems with THAT) and keep form perfect. The only thing I've noticed from squating again is that I'm having a problem "sitting back" enough. I am letting my knees drift over my toes and putting to much pressure on the knees....don't know if that's mental (being afraid to commit and sit back) or if its hip flexibility but when my back feels 100% again I am gonna be paranoid about getting my ass back.
    Hey just sharing my recovery exp.

Wish ya all the luck and I really wanna hear your opinions on the fusion and read how the recovery from the fusion goes.

Peace
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

"It is not justice or equal treatment that you grant to men when you abstain equally from praising men's virtues and from condemning men's vices. When your impartial attitude declares, in effect, that neither the good nor the evil may expect anything from you - whom do you betray and whom do you encourage?"
    Ayn Rand

Status

Thus far, the fusion is a god's gift. I can walk fully erect each day. It doesn't take me 5 minutes to stand completely upright anymore. I think my main issue still stems from them cutting me. Bottom of my back or just top of my ass crack is still numb on both sides and I can DEFINITELY feel my lack of mobility. However, I know once I get my full flexibility back, I'm going to try regular deadlifts and avoid stifflegged deads. As far as squats go, I lack the hip flexibility so I'm being cautious with attempting squats. If I lack flexibility there, then I know my form won't be the best. Thus putting my back in that ackward position again. Lunges and legpress may be my calling for now for awhile.

Lol, at least now I have a permanent 8 pack! Sliced me right down the middle of my bottom. Gonna have SICK lower lat and lower ab definition come contest time!=D

Status

Virgin Islands

wow good stuff guys reading this positive stuff gives me some hope for my pending neck surgery... must say the reduced mobility with a fusion ( in my case total 3 discs ) is a major concern of mine... good luck to you both !! welcome back BOB &thanks for some inspiration

Status

Mrsa, if it helps you at all....from what I understand you will most likely have much fewer lifting limitations from a fusion in the neck compared to the lower back. Hell NFL guys get neck fusions and they get back on the field.

Bob, I have issues at the incision also. The numbness around it has never really left but my doc said that's normal. I actually get an odd paranoia at times that I am gonna be lifting and the muscle is gonna rip where he cut thru it...yea I know it won't really happen but its just part of my post op paranoia.

Peace
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

"It is not justice or equal treatment that you grant to men when you abstain equally from praising men's virtues and from condemning men's vices. When your impartial attitude declares, in effect, that neither the good nor the evil may expect anything from you - whom do you betray and whom do you encourage?"
    Ayn Rand

Status

I would certainly train smart IF I was in your shoes, not sure what caused your problems? need to be smart.

Status

United States

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
    LADIES AND GENTS! ATTENTION ATTENTION!

Lol, hope all is well with everyone. Just getting back after a few months of "finding" myself. Had back surgery Dec. 19 with an anterior and posterior fusion of L4/L5/S1 and artificial disc replacement. Was just released about 98% free this past week. Released me to squats and whatnot again. I've been back lifting for 6wks so far. Could NOT lift anything over 10lbs for the first 6wks following surgery. My first day back in the gym after, I promised the fiance I would NOT go heavy and stay at 135 on bench. Well, needless to say I stayed light...just not that light. Opening day back and doubled 385 for 2 sets of 2. About 3 weeks ago I tripled 405 again.

Just started doing standing military presses again. 215x5 but with no leg english.

So stats pre-op were
    Flat bench 450x1 or 435x2
    Squat 500x2
    Stiff deads 450x3
    DB curl 80x6each arm (little body english) 70x6each arm (very clean)
    weight of 285

Post-op are
    Flat 405x3
    Squat - attempting to squat soon. Still scared lol.
    Deads - will NOT be deadlifting again until I regain a lot of flexibility. Till then, will be doing dumbells
    DB curl - 65x8each arm very strict
    weight of 266

Current weight is now 290-295. Muscle memory is AMAZING!!

Will hopefully take some pictures this week and post them for a view of post op bulk. Thinking about competing this summer, again.

hey there brother i was wondering where you were! hope everything works out good

Status

Yes. I'm around mate. Graduating May 12th from SELU in Louisiana. So been busy with interning etc.

So far, since the back repair, my abdominal issues have left. Back is still numb on the right ass cheek. And I can now run 110yrds. Working on getting back to sprints.

Currently weighing 283lbs in morning. Have started dieting. Lost 13lbs thus far.

Current lifts (as of last week are)
    Standing military press (NO LEG PUSH) 225x6x4sets
    Flat bench 365x10 - 385x6 - 400x5 (new personal high volume lift)
    225 rep test - 43reps (video posted below...hopefully)
    Bent over rows (yeah, I'm rowing with a fusion) 300x6
    DB curl 75s 8x3sets
    Triceps I keep mainly with cables since my elbows suck
    Legs I'm still too scared to step under a squat bar. Planning to do leg press soon or lunges.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...e=2&permPage=1

Status

I don't think the video is working...will attempt to fix. Or I'll just beat the computer till it plays.

Site Sponsor

Status

Welcome back Bob,,,keep up the good work.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
    Yes. I'm around mate. Graduating May 12th from SELU in Louisiana. So been busy with interning etc.

So far, since the back repair, my abdominal issues have left. Back is still numb on the right ass cheek. And I can now run 110yrds. Working on getting back to sprints.

Currently weighing 283lbs in morning. Have started dieting. Lost 13lbs thus far.

Current lifts (as of last week are)
    Standing military press (NO LEG PUSH) 225x6x4sets
    Flat bench 365x10 - 385x6 - 400x5 (new personal high volume lift)
    225 rep test - 43reps (video posted below...hopefully)
    Bent over rows (yeah, I'm rowing with a fusion) 300x6
    DB curl 75s 8x3sets
    Triceps I keep mainly with cables since my elbows suck
    Legs I'm still too scared to step under a squat bar. Planning to do leg press soon or lunges.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...e=2&permPage=1

Video is working. Or at least it did today lol.

Status

Yesterday I made a new PR

Prior to my surgery my bench was 435x2 and 450x1 if I'm not mistaking. Following surgery my bench dropped to 405.

My new PR is 460.

400,420, and 440 went up easy as cake. 460 came down heavy. Slow on transition from eccentric to concentric. But once I had it moving in concentric, that bitch flew up! I need to work rack presses more I think and thatll help my transition point.

40lbs to go and I will have a raw 500 bench!