Thread: old dorian yates 2 work set + triple drop set chest routine routine (rare!!!)

Status

Default old dorian yates 2 work set + triple drop set chest routine routine (rare!!!)

been meaning to post this for a while, i said it was rare because this golds gym book (first bodybuilding book i brought) is the only place i've ever seen it written out like this, its not even written out like this yates own book.

this was written before yates was mr olympia, so i guess this is part of the 3 way split he used to win the night of champions, before changing it later on to the 1 work set 4 way split (like i said i dont know if thats a fact)

but either way, its short and brutal!! enjoy!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8...page&q&f=false
    Last edited by haggar; 09-29-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Status

Ouch! Sounds brutal...

Have you tried it? How were your results?
    -TheDude abides...

Status

Bro can you copy and paste it cause I get "restricted" when I go to the link? Unless I am on gear I am not a fan of drop sets on the regular... sure for a changevup at times but I think drop sets send your body a mixed msg.
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

"It is not justice or equal treatment that you grant to men when you abstain equally from praising men's virtues and from condemning men's vices. When your impartial attitude declares, in effect, that neither the good nor the evil may expect anything from you - whom do you betray and whom do you encourage?"
    Ayn Rand

Status

Canada

They force the muscles to adapt to a different stress if anything which I.M.O. is good.I like doing them on machines and going up/down the stack.^^
    The two best things for your health are humping and pumping.- Arnold Schwarzenegger. Allways grow, grow allways.Life's too short to be small.

Status

E
    Quote Originally Posted by RIPT View Post
    They force the muscles to adapt to a different stress if anything which I.M.O. is good.I like doing them on machines and going up/down the stack.^^
    Since the thread aint about drop sets Im not gonna go Into It too much but just remember that all your body wants to do Is protect itself and make the demands you place upon it as easy as possible. That why you grow from heavy wts... your body wants to make it easier the next time you ask it to perform that task again so it gets bigger, stronger and more efficient..... now perform drop sets and does getting bigger and stronger make that demand easier or harder the next time you ask your body to do it again? The human bodies response to training is pretty simple. getting larger makes drop sets more demanding, not less demanding and that is not what your body wants.
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

"It is not justice or equal treatment that you grant to men when you abstain equally from praising men's virtues and from condemning men's vices. When your impartial attitude declares, in effect, that neither the good nor the evil may expect anything from you - whom do you betray and whom do you encourage?"
    Ayn Rand

Status

Canada

I believe the idea is to keep the muscles moving weight after failure thus extending the amount of force they must produce.
    Last edited by RIPT; 10-02-2010 at 10:36 AM.
    The two best things for your health are humping and pumping.- Arnold Schwarzenegger. Allways grow, grow allways.Life's too short to be small.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Ouch! Sounds brutal...

Have you tried it? How were your results?
    im natural, so i'd only do something like this as a one off every so often.

the results? soreness!!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by thedunhill225 View Post
    Bro can you copy and paste it cause I get "restricted" when I go to the link? Unless I am on gear I am not a fan of drop sets on the regular... sure for a changevup at times but I think drop sets send your body a mixed msg.
    i tried to paste and copy in the first place mate but it wouldnt let me.

but its:

flat bench 2-3 warm ups 2 sets x 6-8 reps

incline 1-2 warm ups 2 sets x 6-8 reps

dumbbell fly 1 warm up 3 sets 8-10 reps

after 2-3 warm ups on flat bench jump to the heaviest weight you can handle for 8 reps go to failure then reduce weight by 10%, rest no more than 45 sec (basically the time it takes to reduce the weight) then do second set.

repeat for incline.

for flyes warm up with a light pair of dumbbells, then set up 3 pairs of dumbbell, heavy, medium, light.

grind out as many reps as possible with the heavy dbells, then imediately pick up and do the same with the medium bells then the light bells.

rest 2 minutes then repeat the fly triple drop set again!!!
    Last edited by haggar; 10-01-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Status

This inspired me to do some heavy drop sets for my arm workout today.

DB Curls - 60x5, 45x5, 35x5
    Dip Machine - 170x8, 140x6, 110x6

Followed by some other 6-12 rep stuff for bis and tris, then called it a day.

Since it was drop sets it didn't take long, but I can feel my Bis are torched from the DB curls!
    -TheDude abides...

Status

I've seen his workouts on youtube video, too bad he injured himself. On a part time basis imo this type of routine is killer when done on machines.

Status

Canada

I think the reason he injured himself is because he went all out all the time.Even before contests-as far as I know anyway.I.M.O. his training style was obviously very effextive but if he had taken 1-2 weeks off sometimes and trained a bit less intensly it would have given his body a break and a better chance to recover from all the stresses put upon it especially pre contest.....